This is part of a continuing exploration to see if it is possible to create a Dylan Day by Day file. We’re in the early days, but there is an index to the days covered so far.
I am certain I will have missed much of importance – please do help fill in the gaps, either by adding ideas for this page – or indeed any date in history. Or if you have a book in which someone has already done this, let me know, and I’ll move to something more original.
- 19 April 1961: There are two contrasting entries for this day. Either Bob Dylan ends his residency at Hibbing High School, Minnesota which he began on 11 April or Bob Dylan performed at Gerde’s Folk City, New York.
- 19 April 1966, Dylan played the Festival Hall Melbourne, Australia
- 19 April 1980, Dylan played Toronto on the Gospel Tour
- 19 April 1983, Dylan recorded in Studio A, at the Power Station, New York in a session produced by Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan. There were six versions of Neighbourhood Bully, plus a take of Green Onions and “Trees Hannibal Alps”
- 19 April 1991: First live performance of New Morning, which went on to be played 79 times between now and 2006. This show as at Saenger Performing Arts Center, New Orleans
- 19 April 2005: Dylan performed at New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark
- 19April 2012, Levon Helm, died of throat cancer aged 71. He performed with the Hawks and the Band and sang on ‘The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,’ ‘Up on Cripple Creek,’ ‘Rag Mama Rag,’ and ‘The Weight.’
- 19 April 2015: Dylan performed at Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando, Florida
- 19 April 2016: Dylan performed at Orchard Hall, Tokyo, Japan.