The idea of the Bob Dylan Showcase is twofold. One part of it allows anyone who has recorded a Dylan song and who is a reader of our site to submit the recording and we’ll put it up.
The other surrounds the issue of a number of Dylan songs for which we have the lyrics and not any music.
Now I don’t know whether when we first stumbled on this project of writing the music to Dylan’s songs it attracted several talented writers along, and this put everyone else off, or whether people just got bored. But one way or another, the entries have declined. As a result we really have had to wait for the music to “Song to Bonny” to emerge, but now we have it.
And thus it is formally classified as “Song to Bonny” by Bob Dylan/Paul Robert Thomas.
Here is the music
Song To Bonny
And the lyrics
My Mother raised me tenderly I was her pride and joy She never meant for me to be No wanderin’ homeless boy I’m writing a song to a girl I once knew It wasn’t so long but it seems so long ago This ain’t no love song, none of its kind It’s a song of remembrance of a girl in my mind Hey Bonny I’m singing to you now This song I’m singing is the best I know how The songbirds are singing their voices do ring And I’ll think of you as long as they sing Hey Bonny Beecher I think that you know What I am doing and where I must go Can’t give you no ring of diamond or gold But I’ll think about you wherever I go Springtime’s a comin’ and the grass will turn green The flowers’ll bloom and the leaves on the trees Will all turn in color and all seem to shade The wild Mississippi where you sit and wait Where you sit and wait Hey hey Bonny I wrote you a song Cause I don’t know if I’ll see you again I want you to know whatever I do I’ll always remember that I once was with you Remember me baby I’s good to you one time I’m a wandering boy and you’re in my wandering mind Spring Time's a comin’ and the grass’ll turn green The flowers will bloom and the leaves on the trees Will all turn in colors and all seems to shade The wild Mississippi where you sit and wait Where you sit and wait
Bob Dylan/Paul Robert Thomas
P.S. All of the songs from this Dylan project can be checked out on my website at https://www.paullyrics.com/album/dylan-found/
- Bob Dylan Showcase: Señor, as never before. Listen, be amazed.
- Untold Dylan Showcase: the publisher’s turn
- Dylan PL – Arlekin and Blind Willie
- Make you feel my love – Denise Konkal
- Rev Kevin Waters, “Tomorrow is a long time”
- Property of Jesus, Ron Sexsmith
- Imaginary Future: Times they are a changing
- Untold Dylan showcase: Make you feel my love – Jüri Aidas
- Don’t let anyone write your story – original renditions
- Don’t let anyone write your story, Rob Beretta
- Don’t let anyone write your story, Paul Robert Thomas
- Don’t let anyone write your story, fourth edition
- Listen Robert Moses: Chris Sheriden