Compiled by Tony Attwood
Untold Dylan Showcase is a feature we’ve run whenever we’ve had the chance, which quite simply consists of recordings made by our readers or about our readers’ music making. Sometimes the music we get is supplied simply because a reader wants to offer it up, other times there is a theme.
Here’s today’s latest piece by David Kerner, it is a regular 12 bar blues with a simple message – go and vote! I love it, not least because I always vote. I’m old enough to have ancestors who (my family has told me) died in the fight for the right to vote, which has always seemed as good a reason as one can get to exercise one’s democratic duty – and to remind others of the benefit. (I don’t normally go into my political views here, but there seems a good excuse at this point!)
The most recent addition to the Showcase venture, before the above, came when Bob Bjarke wrote in about his use of artificial intelligence to create some new Dylan-esque lyrics. I think somewhat to his surprise, I then had go at writing the music to those lyrics; I don’t claim them as works of art, but it was a fun experiment.
Prior to that we meandered around all sorts of other areas….
- The return of Bob Dylan’s Showcase: Roelie Rautenbach
- Our Prodigal Son: another venture for the Untold Dylan Showcase
- Untold Showcase. Inspired by Murder Most Foul: ‘Marilyn Monroe – Endless Night’
- Bob Dylan Showcase: A song to Bobby
The earliest part of the venture was “Help complete a Dylan song” in which we printed the lyrics of Dylan songs that had never had music added, and invited readers to join in with the writing.
- Bowling Alley Blues: another Dylan set of lyrics needing the music
- Don’t let anyone write your story – original renditions
- Don’t let anyone write your story, Paul Robert Thomas
- Don’t let anyone write your story, Rob Beretta
- Don’t let anyone write your story, fourth edition
- Don’t Let Anyone write your story: Claudio Diarni
- Dope Fiend Robber Nick Juno.
- Dope Fiend Robber – Paul Robert Thomas
- Listen Robert Moses: Chris Sheriden
- Song to Bonny Paul Robert Thomas
Our good friend Filip Łobodziński has also contributed a lot in this regard with his perspective on performing Dylan in Polish, and Bob Dylan in Poland.
- T.Love, top Polish rock band, paying tribute to Bob Dylan
- The consequences of sequences in Bob Dylan’s writing of song
- Studious Dylan in the Studio
- Memories of the first ever Polish concert Bob Dylan gave in 1994.
- Young students take on Dylan and his songs
- Dylan PL – Arlekin and Blind Wille
And we have had also had the privilege to showcase reader’s versions of Dylan’s work
- Bob Dylan Showcase: Señor, as never before. Listen, be amazed.
- Your chance to write the music to Dylan’s unfinished song
- Make you feel my love – Denise Konkal
- Rev Kevin Waters, “Tomorrow is a long time”
- Property of Jesus, Ron Sexsmith
- Imaginary Future: Times they are a changing
- Untold Dylan showcase: Make you feel my love – Jüri Aidas
Did I miss someone? If so please give the details of the article.
And do you have something to perform in relation to Dylan? Just email it to Tony@schools.co.uk with some background notes and I’ll see what I can do.