A list of previous articles in this series is given at the end.
By Tony Attwood
Next up in this series is Like a Rolling Stone, except that Aaron and I covered that song in depth in the “Beautiful Obscurity” series.
We’ve also covered Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts, but I’d like to pull the various references made in different places together, because some of these covers are so wonderful and I want to put them together. And I’ve got a couple of versions that we haven’t mentioned before but really ought to be included.
I won’t go through the whole thing again, but if you want to venture into my commentary from last year it is still on the site. But really, all you need to do is watch and listen. This is just such enormous fun, and excellent music too.
Jochen’s full review is here . He chose the version by Joan Baez.
And Tom Russell was also included by Jochen… it is restrained and calm, but keeps all the enthusiasm and drive inherent in the song.
If you are a regular here you’ll know the affection in which I hold Mary Lee’s Corvette. Sadly there is no video with this video (if you see what I mean) but their version is delivered with their usual enthusiasm and drive and is well worth listening to.
And one that we haven’t touched on before, as far as I know. The Minchmins
The point of all this is that the music is fast and furious, and to slow it down is really not practical because there is so much in the song it could be in danger of becoming tedious. But on the other hand because it is fast and furious there is not that much the musicians can do with it.
At least that is what I thought until I heard the Minchmins version. They go at speed but the accompaniment is inventive, novel, enthusiastic and indeed perfect. And against this the vocalist adds some nuances without any sense of trying to outdo the musicians. Indeed this version gives me, once again, new enthusiasm for this song. And after having lived with the track for so many years, I find that quite a clever thing to do.
Here’s a list of most of the articles from this series…
- The song with numbers in the title.
- Ain’t Talkin
- All I really want to do
- Apple Suckling and Are you Ready.
- As I went out one morning
- Ballad for a Friend
- Ballad in Plain D
- Ballad of a thin man
- Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
- The ballad of Hollis Brown
- Beyond here lies nothing
- Blind Willie McTell
- Black Crow Blues (more fun than you might recall)
- An unexpected cover of “Black Diamond Bay”
- Blowin in the wind as never before
- Bob Dylan’s Dream
- You will not believe this… 115th Dream revisited
- Boots of Spanish leather
- Born in Time
- Buckets of Rain
- Can you please crawl out your window
- Can’t wait
- Changing of the Guard
- Chimes of Freedom
- Country Pie
- Crash on the Levee
- Dark Eyes
- Dear Landlord
- Desolation Row as never ever before (twice)
- Don’t fall apart on me tonight.
- Don’t think twice
- Down along the cove
- Drifter’s Escape
- Duquesne Whistle
- Farewell Angelina
- Foot of Pride and Forever Young
- Fourth Time Around
- From a Buick 6
- Gates of Eden
- Gotta Serve Somebody
- Hard Rain’s a-gonna Fall.
- 42 Heart of Mine
- 43: High Water
- 44: Highway 61.5
- 45: Hurricane
- 46: I am a lonesome hobo
- 47: I believe in you
- 48: I contain multitudes
- 49: I don’t believe you.
- 50: I love you too much
- 51: I pity the poor immigrent.
- 52: I shall be released
- 53: I threw it all away
- 54: I want you
- 55: I was young when I left home
- 56: I’ll remember you
- 57: Idiot Wind and More idiot wind
- 58: If not for you, and a rant against prosody
- 59: A Dylan cover a Day: If you Gotta Go, please go and do something different
- 60: If you see her say hello
- 61: Dylan cover a day: I’ll be your baby tonight
- 62: I’m not there.
- 63: In the Summertime, Is your love and an amazing Isis
- 64: It ain’t me babe
- 65: It takes a lot to laugh
- 66: It’s all over now Baby Blue
- 67: It’s all right ma
- 68: Just Like a Woman
- 69: Knocking on Heaven’s Door
- 70: Lay down your weary tune
- 71: Lay Lady Lay
- Dylan Cover a Day 72: Lenny Bruce
- 73: That brand new leopard skin pill box hat