By Tony Attwood
“Meet me in the morning” is the only 12 bar blues on Blood on the Tracks, and is itself a cover of sorts, being akin to “Call Letter Blues” which of course Bob recorded, and which appeared later on “More Blood on the Tracks”
So it is not going too far off the rails to say that “Meet me in the morning” is itself a cover. In which case we are listening out for covers of a cover. A cover squared. A square cover. A…
The question for the cover artist is, do you go further (ie ever more bluesy) or somewhere else (hardly a blues at all). This is the former which is what generally happens with this song (although not always – please keep reading). One chord change, otherwise its just heavy
So compare and contrast with Clas Yngström & Big Tex Three which has taken off in a completely different direction to give a sense of mystery and almost threat.
I really like this, simply because it does take us in a new direction, while retaining all the essence of the song. OK after a while it becomes another 12 bar but that doesn’t matter too much because of the opening.
Of course most of the time the quest is just how far one can actually take the bluesiness and Carolyn Wonderland have a bash at going as far as one can
But it really doesn’t have to go that way. What I was really looking for was a version that turns it back into a ballad. I didn’t really find one, but this is on its way, and I do enjoy angel Snow
And finally just to show it really is possible to take even a 12 bar blues into another territory with a totally different feel, and come to that a totally different message we have Drew Emmitt. I think this is the version that I found most refreshing this search. Maybe that’s because I tend to write my Dylan piece in the mornings, and today is very hot in my part of the world. And as soon as I have finished this I am off to meet one of my daughters, and my twin grandsons, to celebrate their birthday. For such a moment Drew Emmitt has the sound I want.
The Dylan Cover a Day series
- The song with numbers in the title.
- Ain’t Talkin
- All I really want to do
- Apple Suckling and Are you Ready.
- As I went out one morning
- Ballad for a Friend
- Ballad in Plain D
- Ballad of a thin man
- Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
- The ballad of Hollis Brown
- Beyond here lies nothing
- Blind Willie McTell
- Black Crow Blues (more fun than you might recall)
- An unexpected cover of “Black Diamond Bay”
- Blowin in the wind as never before
- Bob Dylan’s Dream
- You will not believe this… 115th Dream revisited
- Boots of Spanish leather
- Born in Time
- Buckets of Rain
- Can you please crawl out your window
- Can’t wait
- Changing of the Guard
- Chimes of Freedom
- Country Pie
- Crash on the Levee
- Dark Eyes
- Dear Landlord
- Desolation Row as never ever before (twice)
- Don’t fall apart on me tonight.
- Don’t think twice
- Down along the cove
- Drifter’s Escape
- Duquesne Whistle
- Farewell Angelina
- Foot of Pride and Forever Young
- Fourth Time Around
- From a Buick 6
- Gates of Eden
- Gotta Serve Somebody
- Hard Rain’s a-gonna Fall.
- 42 Heart of Mine
- 43: High Water
- 44: Highway 61.5
- 45: Hurricane
- 46: I am a lonesome hobo
- 47: I believe in you
- 48: I contain multitudes
- 49: I don’t believe you.
- 50: I love you too much
- 51: I pity the poor immigrant.
- 52: I shall be released
- 53: I threw it all away
- 54: I want you
- 55: I was young when I left home
- 56: I’ll remember you
- 57: Idiot Wind and More idiot wind
- 58: If not for you, and a rant against prosody
- 59: A Dylan cover a Day: If you Gotta Go, please go and do something different
- 60: If you see her say hello
- 61: Dylan cover a day: I’ll be your baby tonight
- 62: I’m not there.
- 63: In the Summertime, Is your love and an amazing Isis
- 64: It ain’t me babe
- 65: It takes a lot to laugh
- 66: It’s all over now Baby Blue
- 67: It’s all right ma
- 68: Just Like a Woman
- 69: Knocking on Heaven’s Door
- 70: Lay down your weary tune
- 71: Lay Lady Lay
- 72: Dylan Cover a Day 72: Lenny Bruce
- 73: That brand new leopard skin pill box hat
- 74: Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
- 75: Dylan Cover a Day: License to kill
- 76: Like a Rolling Stone
- 77: Love is just a four letter word
- 78: Love Sick
- 79: Maggies Farm!
- 80: Make you feel my love; a performance that made me cry.
- 81: Mama you’ve been on my mind
- 82: Man in a long black coat.
- 83: A Dylan Cover a Day: Masters of War